I'm a Fitness Model, and These Are the 7 Exercises I Do to Stay Lean
In order to build lean muscle, I follow these two simple rules: work out hard and eat clean. By doing these two things — especially eating clean — I find that I'm able to see more muscle definition. First you're going to have to have a foundation of muscle to build off of, and then from there you can tweak your programming to really get your muscles to pop. In general, any exercise that incorporates weight will build muscle. And by doing more repetitions and sets with medium to heavy weights, you'll be able to gain strength and lean muscle mass. These are just a few of my favorite exercises to do, but there are many more that will help reveal lean muscle.
Burpee With a Tuck Jump
- Begin standing with your feet hip-distance apart.
- Jump into the air, then lower down into a plank position.
- Immediately jump your feet back in so that you're in a crouching position.
- From here, jump into the air and bring your knees to your elbows.
- Land softly on your feet. This completes one rep.
Split Lunge Jumps
- Stand with your feet together and your knees soft. Jump and come into a lunge with your left leg forward.
- Push off with both feet, jumping them together, then hop into a lunge with your right leg in front.
- Jump your feet back together to complete one rep.
- Start in a squat position with your feet hip-width apart and arms down, making sure your knees are in line with your feet.
- Swing your arms up and jump into the air, bringing your knees up toward your chest so they go past your hips.
- Land, with your knees slightly bent, onto the balls of your feet for a quiet landing.
- Without pausing for the next rep, repeat the motion.
1-Arm Med Ball Push-Up
- Start in a plank position with your left hand on a medicine ball.
- Keeping your torso square to the floor, perform a push-up by bending and straightening both arms. If a traditional push-up is too challenging, lower your knees to the floor.
- Roll the ball to the right hand and do another push-up. This completes one rep.
Bulgarian Split Squat
- Grab a pair of 10-pound dumbbells. Begin by placing the toes of your left foot on a bench, box, stair, or chair, with your right leg straight.
- Make sure your right foot is out far enough so that when you lower your hips, your knee stays directly over your ankle.
- Bend your right knee, squeeze your left glute, and lower your pelvis toward the ground.
- Press your right heel into the ground to straighten your right knee. This completes one repetition.
- Lying on your back, lift your legs two to three inches off of the ground. Place your hands on the floor beside you or underneath your lower back for extra support.
- Cross your right ankle over your left ankle, then cross your left ankle over your right ankle.
- This completes one rep.
Sprinting workouts are truly infinite. You can do longer sprints like 400 meters (one lap around a running track) or shorter sprints like 100 meters. You can do intervals on the treadmill, up a hill, or down your street. Sprinting is one of the quickest ways to blast fat and build muscle, but you'll also improve your overall strength and power, especially in your legs.