This is a great way to learn how to use your entire body when pressing a weight overhead. Some gyms have a specialized socket for attaching a barbell — otherwise you can simply place one end of a barbell in a corner and perform the exercise. Start off with barbell alone, concentrate on technique, not the number of reps. Add weight once 12 reps per set feels easy.
- Start with the barbell in your stronger hand.
- Exhale, and push the barbell upward and toward your center line.
- Once you reach the top, pause, inhale, and actively pull the barbell back toward the start position.
- This is one of our main exercises, so do three sets of eight to 12 reps.
- Once you've finished all the reps on one side, change hands, and perform on the other. This counts as one set.