Helpful Tips in Dealing With Hunger
- Keep in mind the reason you are fasting: If you summon that big reason when hunger pangs strike, you can just embrace them — a positive attitude goes a long way.
- Drink tons of water! Staying hydrated will help prevent hunger as well as the headaches dehydration can cause. When you're hungry, pound 12 ounces of water; it helps fill you up.
- Caffeine is another faster's friend: go for black coffee or green tea. Herbal tea and sparkling water are other zero-calorie drinks that can help curb hunger. Just stay away from the zero-calorie sodas and other beverages made with artificial sweeteners.
- Keep busy: working, taking a walk, doing a hobby, spending time with friends, cleaning the house . . . doing anything that occupies your brain away from food is a plus!
- Stay away from food: when you first start fasting, the temptation to eat is huge. Don't make it harder by grocery shopping, walking past your favorite bakery, fasting during your friend's birthday dinner, or preparing food for other people. With time, your mental willpower will strengthen, but at first, go with the motto: "If I don't see it, I can't eat it."