What happens when we combine two of our favorite things, Champagne and cupcakes? Find out when host Brandi Milloy joins Dannielle, co-owner of Sin City Cupcakes, in the kitchen to create an exclusive POPSUGAR cupcake. Watch as we learn the secret to an ethereal cupcake batter (hint: the lightness comes from two unique ingredients), then see how to build layers of fruit flavor with a tart kiwi filling and a melon-vodka-infused frosting. Check out our video, then see the recipe below.
- For Champagne cupcakes:
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Champagne or sparkling wine
- 6 egg whites
- For kiwi-Champagne filling:
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 kiwis, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 2 tablespoons dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup Champagne or sparkling wine
- For melon vodka frosting:
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup dry milk powder
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 teaspoons melon-infused vodka, such as Van Gogh
- A few drops of food coloring (optional)
- 24 fresh kiwi slices, skin removed, for garnish
- Make cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line baking trays with baking cups.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt together. In small batches, add to the creamed sugar bowl dry ingredients mixture and Champagne alternately.
- In a large, clean bowl, beat egg whites until peaks form.
- Fold 1/3 of the whites into batter to lighten it, then fold in remaining egg whites. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean, about 20-22 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Make filling: Fill a small bowl with gelatin; add up to 1/4 cup water in 1 teaspoon increments, mixing well, until thick. Let it sit 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine kiwi, whipped cream, and milk powder in a small bowl. Stir in gelatin; combine. Add Champagne to mixture, stir, and let sit.
- Make frosting: In a standing mixer using the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese on low for about 2 minutes, or until it assumes a cream texture.
- With beater on low, slowly add dry milk, then powdered sugar, and finally melon vodka. Add a few drops of food coloring, if desired.
- Turn mixer setting to high and whip for about 3 minutes, until ingredients are fully integrated and frosting has a smooth texture.
- Core and fill cupcakes: Once cupcakes have cooled, use a melon baller or a small spoon to dig into the top of the cupcakes and remove the center of each cupcake. Discard cake center or reserve it for another use.
- Fill the center of each cupcake with kiwi filling.
- Once cupcakes are filled, spread or pipe melon vodka frosting evenly across all cupcakes. Garnish each with a fresh kiwi slice.
Makes 24 cupcakes.
- Desserts, Cupcakes
- North American