- 1/2 onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
4 cloves of garlic, minced
3 Serrano peppers, diced
3 jalapeno peppers, diced
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup whole milk
6 cups of shredded cheese (I used a mix of mild cheddar and monterey jack)
1/2 cup of cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
2 plum tomatoes, peeled and diced (about 1 cup), or canned tomatoes if fresh aren't in season
1/2 cup sour cream
Salt to taste
Tortilla chips, for serving
- Melt the butter in a saucepan on medium-low heat, and then cook the onions and peppers for about five minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Whisk the flour into the butter, vegetable mix and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the milk to the pot, and cook on medium, whisking constantly until sauce is thick, about five minutes. Stir in the cilantro and tomatoes.
- Turn heat down to low, and a 1/4-cup at a time, slowly add the shredded cheese stirring into the white sauce until completely melted. Repeat.
- Stir in the sour cream.
- Add salt to taste; garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve immediately with tortilla chips.
- Dips, Appetizers