My rice journey continues with these scrumptious stuffed poblanos. I had chorizo in my fridge, so when I stumbled across this recipe I knew I had to make it. The chorizo is cooked with spicy and sweet peppers making for a flavorful rice base. Shrimp is stirred in at the last minute adding a surf-and-turf layer to the dish. Although the recipe doesn't call for it, I mixed a couple of tablespoons of cheese in with the rice before stuffing the peppers. The final stuffed pepper is a meal in itself that would be delicious at a Mexican fiesta. To see how I made it,
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 pound Mexican-style chorizo
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 large, fresh poblano chiles (also known as pasilla peppers)
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup Cheddar, shredded
- 3/4 cup Jack cheese, shredded
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil and chorizo, cook for 3 minutes.
- Add peppers, jalapeno, onions and garlic. Cook until translucent about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the rice and Stir, cooking until all the grains of the rice are coated with oil.
- Add all liquids and stir over high heat for 3 minutes, cover and reduce heat to low. Check rice for doneness after 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place poblano chiles on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Once cool, cut top 1/4 of chile off and remove ribs and seeds.
- When rice is finished cooking, fluff with fork and stir in shrimp.
- Stuff chiles with 1/6 of the rice mixture.
- Place all the chiles on baking sheet and place into oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, mix cheeses together and cover pepper with cheese. Broil for 3 minutes to melt and brown the cheese.
Makes 6 stuffed peppers.*
*Since I was cooking for myself, I halved the recipe. However there was enough rice mixture to stuff 4 peppers.
- Rice, Main Dishes