This garden-to-glass cocktail pays homage to what I consider to be the most underrated Spring fruit of all time: the apricot. There's only a short window of time in May when these stone fruits are ripe, plump, and bursting with sweet juice; after that, they turn mealy and flavorless. Make the most of their short-lived season with a cocktail that highlights the fruit's floral, honeysuckle-like flavor. This tipple, which is inspired by the classic whiskey smash, calls for just apricots, agave, lemon, and bourbon. Got four ingredients and five minutes? Then make the apricot smash.
- 1 large, ripe apricot, pitted and quartered
- 3/4 ounce fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ounce agave nectar
- 2 ounces bourbon
- Mint, for garnish (optional)
- Muddle the apricots at the bottom of the cocktail shaker until completely broken down.
- Fill the cocktail shaker with ice. Add the lemon juice, agave nectar, and bourbon. Shake vigorously until icy and well-combined.
- Double-strain the cocktail through a fine-mesh strainer into an ice-filled lowball glass. Garnish with a sprig of mint, if desired.
Makes 1 drink.
- Drinks, Cocktails