Jay Z, Beyoncé, Emma Stone, and Blake Lively are among the many celebrities who have dined at Crown restaurant in New York City. The man behind the hot spot is chef John DeLucie, who visited POPSUGAR Live! to share the recipe for a simple, seasonal salad with artichokes as the main ingredient.
If you cannot find pea greens or pea shoots, substitute with another salad green.
- For artichoke puree:
- 1 jar artichoke hearts in oil, drained and oil reserved
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon oil from the artichokes
- For salad:
- 3 pounds baby artichokes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large bundle of pea greens
- 1 large bundle of pea shoots
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, shredded with a vegetable peeler
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To make artichoke puree: Roughly chop the artichoke hearts. Stick everything but the oils in a blender and blitz until it's smooth. Keeping the blender running, add the oils in a slow stream until it all binds together.
- To make salad: Prepare the artichokes by rinsing, trimming, and quartering them. In a 12-by-18-inch roasting pan, toss artichokes with 2 tablespoons oil, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of pepper until artichokes are lightly coated in oil. Bake in a 450°F oven, stirring occasionally, until artichokes are browned and crisp at the edges and tender when pierced, about 15 minutes.
- Spoon artichokes into a bowl, and add lemon juice, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, pea greens, and pea shoots; mix thoroughly. Salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble salad: Use an offset spatula or spoon to spread a few tablespoons of artichoke puree among the plates. Carefully top each plate with artichoke and pea shoot salad. Garnish with parmesan cheese and walnuts. Serve warm.
- 4 small salads