Don't have a cast-iron skillet? Simply follow the same procedure using a flipped-over preheated baking sheet instead. You may need to bake the pizza for slightly longer, as cast iron retains heat better, so follow visual cues to determine doneness (it will have a brown and puffy crust).
- Wheat bran or cornmeal, for dusting
1 ball pizza dough (store-bought is OK)
1/2 cup full-fat ricotta
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
5-8 asparagus stalks, woody ends snapped off, shaved into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
2-3 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
A large handful of pea shoots, for garnish
Balsamic reduction, for drizzling
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 500ºF, setting a 10- to 12-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven at the same time.
- Dust a large cutting board or clean countertop with wheat bran or cornmeal (this will ensure that the dough does not stick). Roll or stretch out the ball of pizza dough so that it's approximately a 10-inch circle (it will be slightly smaller if you're using a 10-inch skillet).
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together the ricotta, lemon zest, and a hefty pinch of kosher salt. Spread the ricotta mixture evenly over the pizza dough, leaving a one-inch border for the crust.
- Remove the cast-iron skillet from the oven, flip it upside down, and rub the exposed surface with oil using a paper towel. Carefully and quickly, arrange the pizza dough on top of the skillet.
- Arrange the asparagus ribbons over the ricotta mixture, and dot with crumbled goat cheese. Put it back in the oven and cook for eight minutes, or until the crust is browned and puffy.
- While the pizza bakes, crack each egg into a separate ramekin or custard cup. Remove the pizza from the oven and slide the eggs from the ramekins to the pizza. Put the pizza back in the oven and cook until the egg white is opaque and just barely set. The eggs will look ever so slightly underdone, but they will continue to cook with the residual heat of the pizza dough.
- Move the pizza to a cutting board and generously blanket the pizza with pea shoots, then drizzle with balsamic reduction and olive oil. Sprinkle the eggs lightly with salt.
Serves two as a main course.
- Main Dishes, Pizza
- North American