Classic eggs Benedict is my favorite brunch dish; if it's on a restaurant's menu, I'll order it nine times out of 10. However, when I'm cooking brunch at home, I prefer to make a lighter, meat-free Benedict. Instead of Canadian bacon, I use roasted tomatoes and mashed avocado. The butter-heavy Hollandaise sauce is replaced with a creamy parmesan cheese sauce. Although you could use poached eggs, most of the time I'm lazy and simply used fried eggs. This dish is one that my mom loves, so if you're looking for something to make for your mother on Sunday, I highly recommend the California Benedict! Get the recipe now.
- 6 roma tomatoes, sliced lengthwise into four thick slices
Olive oil for drizzling
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Flesh of 1 1/2 avocados, diced
3 tablespoons basil, julienned
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1/3 cup white cheddar cheese, grated
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, finely grated
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Nutmeg, for sprinkling
4 large slices of sliced sourdough, lightly toasted
4 poached or fried eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Arrange the tomato slices on a baking pan covered with foil. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 40-45 minutes while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- In a small bowl mash the avocados to make a spreadable paste. Mix in the basil, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk constantly for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk and cook, whisking constantly until the mixture comes to a boil. It will thicken. Remove from heat and add the cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, Dijon mustard, and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- To assemble, spread each piece of toast with a thick layer of mashed avocado (about 2-3 heaping tablespoons). Cover with 4-6 slices of tomato. Top with a poached or fried egg. Drizzle 1/4 cup of the cheese sauce over the top of each egg. Enjoy with a knife and fork immediately.
- Eggs, Breakfast/Brunch
- North American
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.