- 2 slices of bacon
1 large ciabatta loaf, halved horizontally and cut crosswise into quarters
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 red onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick
8 large eggs
Several dashes of hot sauce
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup (4 ounces) grated aged cheddar cheese
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate. Reserve the pan fat.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Place the 8 pieces of bread cut side up on a baking sheet. Drizzle with bacon fat and season lightly.
- Heat the oil in a grill pan or skillet over high heat until hot, but not smoking. Grill or sear the onions with a pinch of salt and pepper until charred and tender, 5 to 7 minutes, turning once. Crumble in the bacon.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt and pepper, and the hot sauce until slightly frothy. Melt the butter in a nonstick or other skillet. Add the eggs and sprinkle with cheese. Once the eggs have begun to very lightly set, begin to stir them gently, using a heat-proof rubber spatula. Make sure to scrape all edges of the pan. Continue this process until the eggs are creamy and just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover.
- Broil the bread until lightly toasted, about 1 minute (watch closely to see that it does not burn). Divide 4 slices of bread among 4 serving plates. Place some of the scrambled eggs on each slice. Spoon the onion-bacon mixture over the eggs. Top with the remaining slices of bread.
- Eggs, Breakfast/Brunch
- North American