What is it about baked pastas that's so wildly comforting? Could it be their starchy goodness? Cheesy topping? Hearty filling? It's probably a combination of all these factors that makes a dish, like this spicy baked penne with sausage and chard, a winner. It can be assembled in advance and baked just before serving, thus it's an ideal dish for entertaining. An item like this is also great after a long day on the slopes. If you build it in the morning, when you arrive home, all you have to do is bake it. It's easy to make and absolutely delicious to eat, so check out the recipe now.
- 8 ounces dried penne pasta
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 links hot Italian sausage (8 oz. total), casings removed
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 cups chopped rinsed Swiss chard leaves (about 3 oz.)
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 oz.)
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring about 4 quarts water to a boil. Add penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender to bite, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain.
- Pour oil into the same pan over medium-high heat. Add sausage and garlic and stir, breaking apart with spoon, until sausage is crumbled and brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add chard and stir until wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with juice, salt, pepper, and cooked pasta. Pour mixture into a 2- to 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan cheeses over the top.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven until cheese is browned and bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Main Dishes, Pizza