- 1 ball of store-bought pizza dough
1/4 cup corn meal or flour
2 large beets, roasted and thinly sliced
1 red onion, roughly chopped
6 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
3 ounces mozzarella, shredded
Extra-virgin olive oil
2 scallions, finely chopped
- Arugula Pesto (optional)
1 cup packed arugula leaves
1/8 cup toasted pine nuts or sunflower seeds
1 small garlic clove, peeled
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
1/4 to 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. To roast beets, remove stems from the beets. For each beet wrap it up in aluminum foil and place in an oven-safe dish. (Depending on the size of your beets, baking time will vary; a medium-sized beet will take 30-40 minutes to roast, and is ready once a pierced knife goes through entire beet easily.) Set aside to cool, then skin the beets carefully, using gloves or several layers of paper towels.
- If desired, make the arugula pesto by placing all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend until all ingredients are finely chopped.
- Preheat the oven to 500ºF, along with a pizza stone or baking sheet.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan, then add the onions and caramelize over medium-high heat until golden.
- On a large cutting board, roll out your pizza dough, using flour or cornmeal to ensure it doesn't stick, until dough reaches a desired thickness.
- Place dough on preheated pizza stone or baking sheet, and parbake for 5 minutes to help ensure a crispy crust.
- Once pizza dough starts to get golden, place cheese, beets, caramelized onions and arugula pesto (if using) evenly on top.
- Return pizza to the oven and continue to cook for 5-7 minutes until the cheese has melted and desired crispness of crust.
- Transfer pizza on a large cookie sheet and chop into slices. If not using the arugula pesto, drizzle the pizza with a little extra-virgin olive oil, scallions and sea salt. Enjoy!
- Main Dishes, Pizza
- North American