While looking through Gorgeous Cakes over the weekend, I found the perfect Fall cake recipe that included one of my favorite root vegetables, beets. I love roasted beets in a salads, so why not experiment with them in baking?The uncooked batter has a stunning magenta color that's unfortunately lost once baked. However, it turns to a lovely, golden-colored cake with delicious red speckles throughout.
The combination of beets and roasted hazelnuts results in a hearty cake with a delightfully light and airy texture. For extra zip, I added ruby red grapefruit zest to the luscious cream cheese frosting. To see the spectacular color of the batter and start baking your own cupcakes with this vegetable,
- For the Cake
- 5 ounces raw beet, peeled and shredded (wear gloves and apron while shredding)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 medium eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons 1 percent milk
- 1 cup roasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- For the Frosting
- 2 teaspoon beets, shredded
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 cups lowfat cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ruby red grapefruit zest
- Preheat the oven 350°F. Place the hazelnuts on a cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. Be sure to check the hazelnuts frequently to ensure they do not burn. Once roasted place nuts on a kitchen towel. Cover the nuts with half of the kitchen towel and gently roll back and forth to remove the skins. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Beat oil and sugar in large bowl, then beat in egg yolks and milk.
- Fold in beets and hazelnuts. Sift flour and baking powder together and stir into the batter. Add spices.
- Using a clean bowl and beater beat the egg whites until they are stiff and fold them into the batter in three stages.
- Fill cupcake liners and bake for 18-22 minutes or until an inserted knife or skewer comes out clean.
- For the frosting, cream butter, and powdered sugar using a hand mixer. Blend in the cream cheese, vanilla, and grapefruit zest until smooth.
- Place the 2 teaspoons of shredded beets in a cup with 2 teaspoons of boiling water. Let sit for a couple of minutes. The red liquid can be added to the frosting to make pink frosting without the aid of food coloring.
- Frost the cupcakes once cooled completely and enjoy.
Makes 18 cupcakes.
- Desserts, Cupcakes