The best and most filling salad recipes are ones that have lots of flavors, textures, and ingredients. For example, a salad that's packed with beets, fennel, olives, oranges, onions, and greens is complex enough to stand alone as a meal. It may take a little time to chop and prep the veggies, but the resulting salad is worth the effort. Serve with a slab of good cheese and a chunk of crusty bread, and you've got a dinner that's perfect for last-minute holiday entertaining.
Check out the vegetarian-friendly recipe and
- Lemon Dressing
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cracked black pepper
- ½ tsp. ground fennel seed
- 3 beets (½ lb.)
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 fennel bulb (1 lb.)
- 6 oranges
- 6 cups watercress and/or mixed field greens (6 oz.), coarsely chopped
- 1 small head radicchio (4 oz.), thinly sliced
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced (¼ cup)
- 16 pitted kalamata olives, halved
- To make Lemon Dressing: Whisk together all dressing ingredients in bowl or shake in jar.
- To make Salad: Cook beets in boiling water 20 to 30 minutes, or until easily pierced with knife. Drain and cool. Cut off stem ends, and rub off peel. Cut beets into thin wedges. Toss beets with vinegar in bowl.
- Meanwhile, cut fennel in half lengthwise, and thinly slice each half into semicircles. Transfer to separate bowl.
- Cut peel from oranges, and cut orange sections from pith. Do this over bowl of fennel slices, squeezing extra juice into bowl and adding orange sections.
- Combine greens, radicchio, and red onion on large platter. Top with fennel and oranges, then beets and olives. Drizzle 2 to 3 Tbs. Lemon Dressing over Salad. Serve remaining dressing on side.
- Salads, Main Dishes