- 24 baby orange beets
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
4 small shallots, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Put the beets in a roasting pan, cover with foil and bake them for about 1 hour, until they are tender. When they are cool enough to handle, peel and quarter the beets.
- In a pie plate, toss the pine nuts with 1 teaspoon of the vegetable oil and toast them in the oven for about 3 minutes, until the pine nuts are golden brown.
- Using a sharp knife, peel the tangerines. Working over a medium bowl, slice in between the membranes to release the tangerine sections. Squeeze the juice from the membranes into a small bowl; you should have 1/2 cup.
- In another small bowl, toss the sliced shallots and raspberry vinegar with a pinch of salt and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the 1/2 cup of tangerine juice and the remaining 1/4 cup of vegetable oil and season the dressing with salt.
- Arrange the beets and tangerine sections on plates and drizzle with the dressing. Top with the toasted pine nuts and serve.
Make Ahead: The roasted beets can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before proceeding.
- Vegetables, Salads
- North American