I paired these burgers with a refreshingly floral white wine sangria.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 (14-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup plain dry bread crumbs
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 soft hamburger buns
sour cream, salsa, guacamole, lettuce, for serving
- Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook taking care not to brown, until soft, fragrant, and translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Pour the beans, bread crumbs, spices, and cilantro into a larger bowl. Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeño mixture. Using your hands, mash and crush the beans until paste-like. Form mixture into 4 patties.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers.
- Cook burgers until outsides are crisp and lightly browned, turning once, about 5 minutes total. Serve on buns with toppings.
Makes 4 burgers.
- Main Dishes, Beans