Whenever Fall comes around, I find myself craving simple braised dishes like this braised chicken and red wine. Served over steamed brown rice and steamed broccoli or a salad, it's a simple, delicious, and healthy one-pot weeknight meal to make during the school week.
For the recipe, keep reading.
Braised Chicken and Red Wine
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 pounds chicken thighs on the bone, skin removed
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 zucchinis, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Brown chicken pieces on both sides. Remove from pot. You may have to do this in batches.
- Add onion and garlic to pot and sauté until onions are translucent. Add wine, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and red pepper. Reduce slightly. Return chicken to pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until chicken is just tender, covered, about 25-30 minutes. Add zucchini and continue simmering until zucchini is just cooked through, about 5-7 minutes longer.
Serves 4 to 6