I have no self-control or discipline when a plate of flaky, buttery Southern biscuits presents itself in front of me. It's a hereditary disease, passed on to me by my mother. The same can be said for British scones, which are a world of difference from American versions that tend to be dry, overly sweet, and covered in a murky glaze.
British scones, on the other hand, are quite like cousins to Southern biscuits. Unlike crispy, savory biscuits, scones tend to be crumbly, creamier, and a touch sweeter. While the scone has a delicate buttery flavor on its own, it's only appropriate to follow the British tradition of serving it with clotted cream, strawberry jam, and a cup of black tea.
After a long day of recipe developing, I sat down to enjoy a late afternoon cup of tea and scone. Now I understand why the British are so fond of tea breaks! My bergamot black tea was at once soothing and stimulating and complemented the crumbly scones in such a smooth and seamless way. I look forward to making this pick-me-up a daily routine, and you can start too by trying this British scone recipe.
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter
1/8 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, whites separated
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Cover a baking sheet with a silpat silicone pad or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together. Crumble and rub butter into the flour using your fingers until mixture resembles sand.
- Stir in sugar. Pour in milk and use a butter knife to cut mixture, combining all ingredients until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead very lightly. Pat or roll out dough to 1/2-inch thick. Stamp out round scones using a 2-inch dough cutter, spreading them out evenly on a baking sheet. Dough scrapes can be combined, lightly kneaded, and stamped out again. Repeat process until no dough remains.
- Brush tops of scones with egg white. Bake for 12-15 minutes until scones have doubled in height and tops are golden.
Makes 11 scones.
- Breads, Scones