Suffering from brown-bag lunch fatigue? Here's my prescription for putting the kick back in your step without devoting hours to morning prep. Side effects may include looking forward to lunch hour all morning long, a lack of food coma, and co-worker envy. Made with red cabbage ribbons, crisp sliced apple, and nutty pecans, it's not only fresh tasting, but also sturdy enough to stand up to a few days in the fridge, meaning you can enjoy it all workweek long.
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 5 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 large Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
- Whisk together the vinegars, sugar, olive oil, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the cabbage and cranberries; toss to coat. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
- Just before serving, core and then thinly slice the apples. Add the apple slices and pecans to the salad, and toss well to combine.
- Vegetables, Salads
- 8 servings