- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/4 lb onions (2 large), halved and thinly sliced
14 to 16 oz pizza dough, thawed if frozen
1/4 lb Gorgonzola dolce, crumbled (1 cup)
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat until it shimmers, then cook onions with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, covered, stirring occasionally, until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and keep warm, covered.
- Prepare a grill for direct-heat cooking over low charcoal (medium heat for gas).
- Stretch dough into a roughly 12- by 10-inch rectangle on a large baking sheet and brush with 1 Tbsp oil.
- Bring dough, onions, cheese, nuts, parsley, and remaining Tbsp oil to grill area.
- Oil grill rack, then put dough, oiled side down, on grill and brush top with remaining Tbsp oil. Grill, covered, until underside is golden brown, 1 1/2 to 3 minutes.
- Using tongs, return crust to baking sheet, turning crust over (grilled side up). Sprinkle evenly with onions, cheese, nuts, and parsley. Slide pizza from sheet onto grill and grill, covered, until underside is golden brown and cheese is partially melted, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into pieces.
Serves 6 for an appetizer.
- If you aren't able to grill outdoors, see our indoor method.
- Onions can be cooked 1 day ahead and chilled.
- Nuts can be toasted 1 day ahead and cooled, then kept in an airtight container at room temperature.