It's not often that a recipe ticks as many boxes as this carrot and chickpea number; it's meal-worthy on its own, it makes for a great brown-bag lunch (or make-ahead potluck item), it's gluten-free and vegetarian — even vegan if you ditch the feta for some chopped green olives — it comes together in about half an hour, and, most importantly, it's delicious. All of which is to say that it's so much of a winner that I've made it not once, not twice, but thrice in the last month or so.
It's sourced from The Sprouted Kitchen Bowl and Spoon, the second cookbook from Sprouted Kitchen blogger Sara Forte — so its excellence is hardly a shocker. If you like this recipe (and I strongly suspect you will), be sure to pick up a copy; it's one of those books that quickly fills up with tabbed pages. (The tuna poke bowl recipe is another personal favorite.)
A few quick notes about prep: I've made this salad with both dried chickpeas that I cooked myself and canned; the dried chickpeas have a superior texture, but in a pinch canned do the trick. If you have a food processor, this is the time to bust it out to grate the carrots, as it's a large volume. Dates are really sticky; put them in the freezer for 10 minutes before chopping so they don't form quite as gluey of a mass once chopped. Lastly, it makes a great brown-bag lunch, but do know that leftovers lose a bit of their crunch. If you're brown bagging it, pack the pistachios separately in a resealable plastic bag so as to preserve their texture.
Editor's note: 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas is equivalent to 1 15-ounce can. If making the salad ahead of time, reserve the pistachios and add them before serving to preserve their crunch.
- 4 cups grated carrots
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 7 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup shelled roasted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1/2-3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Add the carrots, chickpeas, dates, scallions, and cilantro to a large bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime zest and juice, cumin, nutmeg, turmeric, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the carrot mixture and toss to coat. Sprinkle in the pistachios and feta cheese and toss gently.
- Serve or cover and chill in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Salads, Main Dishes
- North American
- Serves 4
- Total Time
- 25 minutes