Use whole spices. You can use a few dashes of powered spices, but they will compromise the texture of the drink and make it gritty.
This takes only about 15 minutes to prepare, so make it just before you plan to serve. However, you can make it, refrigerate it, and heat it up again for later.
The ginger makes this cider extra warming, but if you want to spike it, do so with a shot of rum, whiskey, or bourbon.
- 2 cups apple cider, homemade or store bought
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole green cardamom pods
- 10 whole cloves
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 1-inch piece ginger root, sliced
- 2 cross-section slices of apple, optional
- In a small pot, combine all ingredients, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain apple cider. Reserve cinnamon sticks, but discard other spices. Divide between two cups. Serve with cinnamon sticks and/or the cross section of an apple.
- Drinks, Hot Drinks
- North American
- Makes 2 beverages