- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb chicken livers, trimmed and patted dry
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot red-pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoon capers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet (red) vermouth
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 sourdough baguette, thinly sliced and toasted
- 1 lemon wedge
- Heat butter and oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat until foam subsides, then cook onion, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add livers and cook over medium-high heat until undersides are browned, about 3 minutes. Turn livers over and add red-pepper flakes, capers, and 1 tsp salt. Cook until livers are just cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes more.
- Increase heat to high and add vermouth. Boil, stirring, until slightly thickened and glossy, about 3 minutes. Transfer livers with a slotted spoon to a cutting board, then transfer sauce to a bowl.
- Coarsely chop livers and add to sauce. Season with salt and pepper and gently stir in parsley. Spoon onto toasts and squeeze a little lemon juice over each.
Make ahead: Liver mixture, without parsley, can be made 1 day ahead and chilled. Reheat, then stir in parsley, before spreading on toasts.
- Appetizers, Crostini