Even if it has been two decades since you've made or eaten chocolate chip pancakes, there's no reason you can't resurrect the breakfast of your childhood dreams. In fact, I encourage you to go all out and top the stack with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles.
The base is a golden-hued buttermilk pancake with plenty of melted butter to make the batter moist and rich.
Right before the batter hits the griddle, fold in chocolate chips.
Once the cakes come off the grill, don't be shy with the toppings. I used the MarieBelle chocolates from my Must Have box.
The whipped cream and melted chocolate chips make these pancakes so sweet and moist, I don't think they need any other adornments (like maple syrup), but I'll let you be the judge! Are you ready to be a kid again? See the recipe.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- Clarified butter or high-heat vegetable oil, for cooking
- Powdered sugar, sifted, for garnish
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- Mini chocolate chips or chocolate sprinkles, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk in buttermilk and melted butter. Stir flour mixture into buttermilk mixture until just combined (lumps are OK). Fold chocolate chips into pancake batter.
- Heat the oven to 200°F and place an oven-safe plate or baking dish inside. Heat a large, nonstick skillet on the stove top over medium heat. Melt 1/4 teaspoon of butter on skillet. Dollop 1/2 cup batter onto skillet; depending on the size of the skillet, it may fit 2-3 pancakes. Cook pancakes until bubbles rise to the surface and pop, about 2 minutes. Carefully flip pancakes and cook another 2 minutes.
- Transfer cooked pancakes to plate in the oven. Cover with foil. Repeat with more butter and remaining batter, until all pancakes are cooked. Garnish a stack of pancakes with chocolate sprinkles and whipped cream to taste.
Makes 15 pancakes.
- Breakfast/Brunch, Pancakes/Waffles