Ever since I made homemade Nutella, I haven't been able to get the delicious combination of chocolate and hazelnuts out of my mind. That's why, when I found this spectacular-sounding cake recipe, I knew it must be served at Christmas dinner.
Both the batter and the frosting have Nutella, and chopped toasted hazelnuts add a lovely texture and crunch to the cake. The best thing about this recipe is that the entire cake can be assembled up to three days in advance — you just have to make room for it in the fridge!
Interested in the decadent recipe? Get it, after the jump.
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread; buy two 13-oz jars)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp Frangelico hazelnut liqueur (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Filling and frosting
- 3 cups heavy (whipping) cream
- 2 bars (4 oz each) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Nutella
- 1 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- Garnish: chopped toasted hazelnuts and chocolate curls
- Cake: Heat oven to 350°F. You’ll need two 9 x 2-in. round cake pans, greased and floured.
- Whisk cocoa powder and water in a medium bowl, then Nutella and buttermilk, Frangelico and vanilla.
- Beat sugar, butter, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl with mixer on medium-high speed 3 minutes or until pale.
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time. On low speed beat in flour in 3 additions alternating with cocoa mixture in 2 additions, beating just until blended. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes until a pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on rack 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of each layer; turn out on rack and cool completely.
- Insert several toothpicks halfway up side around both cake layers. Using picks as a guide, cut layers in half with a long serrated knife.
- Filling & frosting: Microwave cream in a large bowl on high until steaming. Add chocolate; let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Cover surface directly with plastic wrap; refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours.
- Beat cold chocolate mixture on medium speed until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- Put Nutella into a bowl; stir in 1 1/2 cups chocolate mixture until smooth. Fold into remaining chocolate mixture until combined. Remove 2 1/2 cups to a bowl; stir in hazelnuts for filling. Reserve remainder for frosting.
- To assemble: Place 1 cake layer on serving plate; spread with 1/3 the filling (1 scant cup). Top with second layer and 1/2 the remaining filling; repeat with third layer and remaining filling. Top with last cake layer. Spread a thin layer of frosting over top and sides; refrigerate 15 minutes to firm. Spread top and sides with remaining frosting. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish just before serving.
Make ahead: Wrap cooled cake layers and make frosting (through the chocolate cooling process) up to 2 days ahead. Cover the frosted cake and refrigerate up to 3 days.
- Desserts, Cake
- North American