- 8 ounces chorizo, removed from casings and chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup finely chopped yellow onions
1 cup roughly chopped fennel
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 cup white wine
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley leaves
3 pounds fresh mussels, well scrubbed and debearded
French bread, as an accompaniment
- In a large saute pan, cook the chorizo until brown over medium-high heat, about 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan.
- Add the butter and when melted, add the onions, fennel, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and tomatoes, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the wine, cream, and parsley, and bring to a boil. Add the mussels, cover, and cook until the shells have opened, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sausage. Discard any shells that do not open. Transfer to a deep bowl and serve immediately with hot French bread for dipping.
Serves 4 as an appetizer.
- Main Dishes, Shellfish
- North American