Is it ridiculous to post a "recipe" for Rice Krispies treats? Perhaps. But I am doing it anyways. And for multiple reasons.
The fun reason is because these are insanely delicious (I had to have them removed from my reach and site after I ate too many). I love the added texture and chew of the shredded coconut, and then nothing pairs as well with coconut as chocolate. And I am no chocoholic — trust me. Then you have that crispy rice cereal and the gooey marshmallows — well, forget it. So good.
The less fun reason that I am so in love with these is that they are gluten-, dairy-, and egg-free. Yesssssss . . . Major score for our household . . . And maybe for yours for the upcoming treat-based holiday?
And even if you are not free from anything in your house, these are just plain yum. Try them.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, plus more for greasing the pan
- 10 ounces minimarshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I use the vegan, soy-free and gluten-free Life’s Balance variety)
- Prepare a 9-by-13-inch dish with coconut oil.
- In a large pot, melt the coconut oil. Add the marshmallows and stir with a wooden spoon over medium heat until they are melted, about 5-7 minutes. Add the coconut and the Rice Krispies, and stir really well to combine. Let the combination cool slightly.
- Transfer half of the Rice Krispies mixture to the prepared pan and sprinkle with 2/3 of the chocolate chips. Add the rest of the Rice Krispies mixture and the rest of the chocolate chips, and then pat down tight with a spoon or spatula.
- Let the Rice Krispies treats cool completely and set up and then slice!
- Desserts, Cookies
- North American
- Total Time
- 15 minutes