Warmer weather means it's time for cool treats and our favorite frozen dessert is ice cream. It's such a versatile dish; it can be made in countless flavors and can be used in endless desserts — that's why we're screaming for ice cream this Summer! In our new series, we hope to provide you with the best ice cream ideas.
Although you can purchase a pint at practically every gas station in America, I prefer to make homemade ice cream. It tastes so much better and once you've mastered the basic technique, it's not that hard to make, as the process is similar for most flavors.
You do need time: the base has to chill before being put into an ice cream maker and the final churned mixture should freeze a couple of hours before serving. To kick-start the series, I've got an amazing recipe for coffee ice cream. Get started on it today and enjoy a bowl or two this weekend. Here's the recipe.
- 2 cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
6 egg yolks
- Combine the cream, milk, sugar, and coffee in a medium, heavy saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat.
- Beat the egg yolks in a medium bowl.
- Whisk 1 cup of the hot cream into the egg yolks. Gradually add the egg mixture in a slow, steady stream, to the hot cream.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon and reaches 170 degrees F. on an instant-read thermometer, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the surface to keep a skin from forming. Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator and pour into the bowl of an ice cream machine. Freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. After the ice cream is made, transfer to an airtight container. Cover tightly and freeze until ready to serve.
Makes 1 quart.
- Desserts, Ice cream
- North American
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.