Brunch is an ideal time to throw a bridal shower. The female-only event is normally hosted by a nonfamily member or the maid of honor. If you're invited to a bridal shower, it's customary to bring a gift. Often the shower will have a gift theme (like all kitchen gear, lingerie, etc.) and games. For Ronda's bridal brunch, we're keeping things simple and sophisticated with a smorgasbord of delicious breakfast foods. After the main course has been devoured, guests can enjoy coffee or tea with a scrumptious cherry breakfast cake. To look at the easy make-ahead recipe that would be welcome on any Mother's Day menu,
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 sticks (12 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Two 10-ounce bags frozen cherries, thawed and drained
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, using your fingers, combine 3 cups flour, the brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix in all but 2 tablespoons butter until large crumbs form; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, the egg and the buttermilk.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, the granulated sugar, baking powder and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add the egg mixture and stir to form a thick, smooth batter.
- Fold about a third of the reserved crumb mixture into the batter; spread evenly into the prepared baking dish.
- Scatter the cherries over the batter; sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture on top. Bake the cake until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool for about 20 minutes before serving.
- Other, Breakfast/Brunch