After a long day of pitching tents, cooking food, and preparing dessert, the gang at your campfire fiesta definitely deserves a drink. No camping trip is complete without beer, so fill a cooler with plenty of ice and ask guests to bring their own brews. I'll also pick up a few bottles of red and white wine.
As the host of this fireside fete, you can also offer a fun addition to the bar menu. Since you probably won't have the time or energy to whip up something like a guavarita, opt for spiking a watermelon with rum. It's summery and refreshing, it will go great with the Mexican-inspired main courses, and it's easy to eat around the campfire. Just consume with caution, since it will undoubtedly be strong! To find out how to make it,
- 1 large watermelon
- 1 750-ml bottle of white rum, chilled
- 2-3 large Ziploc bags
- At least 4 hours before serving, cut up the watermelon. Discarding the rind, cut the flesh into single-serving triangular slices.
- Divide the slices between 2-3 Ziploc bags (however many you need) and pour an equal amount of rum into each bag.
- Place bags in a cooler and let sit for at least 4 hours.
- Remove watermelon from bag and discard excess liquid. Serve slices in a bowl or on a plate.
- Drinks, Summertime