To promote the book Change the World For Ten Bucks, which my sister is on the cover of, she is organizing a day of volunteerism. Since I'm unable to attend, I've offered to make her and the volunteers lunch. Besides bottled water, I plan on serving pink lemonade. Not the kind that comes from concentrate, but a refreshing and delicious variation that gets its vibrant hue from strawberries.
If you make this, take the time to juice the lemons — you can really taste the difference with fresh juice. For the recipe to this picnic classic,
- 1 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed or bottled
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 cups water
- 1 lemon (optional, for slices)
- In a blender, puree lemon juice and strawberries. Strain through fine mesh strainer pressing berries with spatula.
- Combine juice, sugar, and water and stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour into a jar and cover. Refrigerate. Add lemon slices before serving.
- Drinks, Mocktails