When a friend moves away, it's nice to let them know how much they'll be missed by hosting a bon voyage fiesta. Keep the theme of the menu — comforting food native to the honoree's new hometown — going with the dessert. Since Kara is moving to Boston, I'll be making this variation of Boston creme pie. These cream-filled cupcakes are perfect: they're crowd-pleasing, individual treats, and Kara can take home the leftovers! To look at the easy recipe that take helps from a cake mix,
- 1 1/4 cups cold whole milk
- 1 (3.4-ounce) box vanilla instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 12 pre-made cupcakes baked from a cake mix
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Combine milk, instant pudding mix, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Beat mixture with a hand mixer for 2 minutes, or until it thickens.
- Place mixture in refrigerator for 15 minutes. Spoon filling into a pastry bag fitted with a medium-size plain tip.
- Fill cupcakes with vanilla pudding filling by inserting tip into top of cupcake and squeezing a couple of tablespoons of filling into each cupcake.
- Heat cream in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat until bubbles appear around the edges. Remove from heat, add chocolate morsels to pan, and whisk until smooth. Spoon or drizzle glaze over cupcakes, or dunk the tops into the glaze.
- Refrigerate until set, at least 1 hour, before serving. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Makes 12 cupcakes.
- Desserts, Cupcakes
- North American