Although I love a decadent chocolate cake, there is no place for rich desserts at a pool party. Guests will be in swimsuits, so serve something that's refreshing, cold, and not too sweet.
These sangria popsicles are a delicious grownup treat. Made with white wine, rum, pineapple chunks, and fresh orange juice, they're the perfect pool party crowd pleaser.
For the recipe,
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Zest of 1/2 lime
- 3 cups fresh pineapple chunks (about 1 pound)
- 2 dried star anise pods
- 1½ tablespoons white rum
- Juice of 2 to 3 oranges (2/3 cup)
- 2½ cups dry white wine
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, ginger and lime zest. Add the pineapple and toss.
- Scrape the pineapple into the skillet, add the star anise and cook, without stirring, until the pineapple caramelizes, 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rum and let the alcohol burn off, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the orange juice, scraping the bottom of the pan; let cool.
- Discard the anise. Puree the fruit mixture in a blender.
- Stir in the white wine and pour the mixture into icepop molds. Freeze until solid, about 4 hours.
Makes 12 popsicles.
- Desserts, Frozen
- North American