After a make your own soft taco, dinner guests at my Ugly Betty season premiere party will be ready to sit back and watch the show. However, I won't let them leave the party without a sweet treat for dessert. When Ugly Betty is over, I'll invite everyone back into the kitchen for a creamy flan. The recipe actually comes from Betty Suarez herself, complete with funny little side notes. To get this classic recipe,
From ABC's BettySuarez.com - written by Ugly Betty herself
1 cup white sugar
3 or 4 eggs (depending on your taste)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Unless it is our oven, which runs too hot and then too cold so we set it at 200, then move the dial to 500 after 15 minutes.
- Melt sugar in a saucepan over low heat until it's liquidy and golden. Tell a story about the old country being "sugar" and America being "syrup." Pour liquid sugar into baking dish. Be sure to cover the sides.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Repeate over and over how mom made the best flan and this doesn't even come close. Stir in condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla until smooth. Pour mixture into baking dish. Cover with "tin foil."
- Bake for 60 minutes. Then let cool while you sneak a cup of coffee.
- Invert it carefully onto a precious serving plate your mother hand carved from Mexico. Share the serving plate story for the 800th time.
- Serve flan. Tell Justin it is "fat-free."
I love the Betty notes on every step. And Fat Free!? Ha!