Some of you have been asking for it and here it is: my party plan for the ultimate Super Bowl party. The Super Bowl is one of those random holidays/events where EVERYONE celebrates. Even if you are like me and don't really care too much for football (or sports in general for that matter), you love the Super Bowl because of the parties. I can't remember a Super Bowl where I didn't attend or host a party, and this year will be no different. When else do we have an excuse to pig out on football and bar finger foods? As you can tell I am super excited for the Super Bowl. We have 6 days until the game (you can find the official countdown at Super Bowl Heaven) and we have a lot of work to do, starting with the invitations. To see what I'll be sending (including a TON of step-by-step pictures),
I am a Chicago Bears fan and will be rooting for their team. Therefore my party's colors will be the Chicago Bears colors: orange and blue. My invitation will be made using these colors, however if you are supporting the Indianapolis Colts you can make the same invite and substitute white for the orange. The invite is sporty and shaped like a football with sparkley glitter to make it festive.
To make this invite you will need:
- animal stencils (either a bear or a colt)
- blue (cut into a 7 by 7 inch square) and orange (or white) cardstock
- blue and orange (or white) glitter
- a computer/printer or a pen and white paper
- blue and orange (or white) satin ribbon
- sports section of the newspaper (if you can find one with a super bowl related article use that)
To assemble this invite:
- Using a pencil and the animal stencil trace the shape of the animal onto the orange cardstock.
- Cut the animal shape out.
- Turn the blue cardstock so that it is the shape of a diamond and glue the orange bear across the front.
- On your computer create a document (with fun Super Bowl related pictures if desired) with the detailed information involving the party. I used the font Bradley Hand ITC TT-Bold and the color orange. Write something along these lines:
PartySugar invites you to join her for the Football Event of the Year: the 41st Super Bowl
Starring the Indianapolis Colts and the Chicago Bears
Sunday February 4, 2007
PartySugar’s House, San Francisco
Please RSVP 415.444.5555
Guests are encouraged to wear their team’s colors
- Print the text out on white paper. Carefully fit the white text over the back of the blue cardstock.
- Glue the text page to the invite.
- Being sure not to cut off any of the bear on the front or the text on the back, cut the cardstock down to roughly the shape of a football.
- On a piece of old newspaper or a work surface, spread the glue evenly over the inside of the bear. Work quickly, so the glue does not dry, sprinkle with orange glitter. Shake off the excess glitter.
- Working in sections, slowly outline the bear with a thin line of glue. Sprinkle with blue glitter. Shake off excess blue glitter. Repeat process until all of the bear is outlined with blue glitter and filled in with orange glitter.
- Set aside, let dry for several hours.
- Once the glitter and glue has dried, you can get ready to wrap the completed invitation. Cut a piece of the sports section of the newspaper. Fold around the outside of the invite to create an envelope. Tape envelope closed.
- Cut equal sizes of the ribbon, about 2 feet long. Wrap the ribbon around the envelope as you would wrap a Christmas present.
- Tie a pretty bow. Congrats your invitation is complete!
I plan on hand delivering my invitations and leaving them as a surprise in each of my guests mailboxes. If you want to send yours simply slide the wrapped invite into an appropriate sized mailing envelope. Address, with dark blue ink, in your best handwriting, stamp, and send away.
This is only the first step of my Super Bowl Party...come back tomorrow, I'll be talking food and planning the menu.
For a larger view, click on a picture below: