It may be old-fashioned, but I love a good wedge salad. With its crisp, cool lettuce and tangy, creamy dressing, the iceberg and blue cheese combination is incredibly comforting. While good bottled blue cheese dressings exist, there's nothing like the thick, rich homemade variation.
It's not only delicious in the wedge salad, but it's great on spinach salads, tasty as a dip with carrots or buffalo wings, and scrumptious slathered as a spread on steak sandwiches. To learn how to make this simple yet rewarding dressing,
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot (about 1 shallot)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 cup crumbled domestic blue cheese
- Whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, shallot, chives, lemon juice, coarse salt, pepper, and celery salt in a small bowl.
- Fold in blue cheese. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups of dressing.
- Condiments/Sauces, Dressings
- North American