Just because the weather has started to turn chilly doesn't mean you can't enjoy burgers. Simply griddle the patties inside instead of charring on the outdoor grill. For an alternative to the classic beef burger, consider canned crabmeat. This recipe makes an effortless and flavorful crab patty by combining chives, panko, and Dijon mustard with spices. If you're pressed for time, serve with a store-bought tartar sauce; or take this burger to another level by offering it with a homemade lemon-garlic aioli. Read on for the recipe.
- 1 pound crabmeat
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 dashes hot sauce, such as
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 6 hamburger buns, toasted
- Tarter sauce, lemon wedges, and sliced red onion rings, optional for serving
- Mix crab, egg, breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, chives, mustard, lemon juice, celery seed, onion powder, pepper and hot sauce in a large bowl. Form into 6 patties.
- Heat oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until the butter stops foaming. Cook the patties until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- Serve immediately on a toasted bun with tarter sauce, lemon wedges, and onion rings.
- Main Dishes, Shellfish
- North American