- 1/2 pound fresh cranberries (about 2 cups)
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups white wine
1 cup water
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place the cranberries, sugar, wine, water, ginger, and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture comes to a simmer.
- Continue to cook for 2 minutes or until the cranberries pop and begin to soften. Remove from the heat and allow the cranberry mixture to cool slightly.
- Puree in a blender. Use caution if the mixture is still warm and do it in smaller batches. Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Stir the chilled mixture into your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions. When finished, sorbet will be soft but ready to eat.
- For firmer sorbet, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze at least 2 hours.
Makes 1 quart.
- Desserts, Ice cream
- North American