This is the Spanish version of the French crème brulée. Feel free to use whatever citrus zest you have on hand, or do a mixture of several different varieties for even more flavor.
- 4 cups milk
- 2/3 cup superfine sugar
- Finely grated zest from 1 lemon
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons potato starch or cornstarch
- Pour the milk into a pan, add 4 tablespoons of the sugar and the lemon zest, and bring just to a boil.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks with 2 tablespoons of the remaining sugar and the potato starch.
- Gradually stir in the hot milk, then pour the custard into the pan. Lower the heat and cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes, until thickened.
- Strain into a serving dish or individual dishes and let cool, then chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Just before serving, sprinkle the remaining sugar on top and use a kitchen blowtorch to caramelize it. Or place the custards on a cookie sheet and place directly under the oven broiler, watching closely to ensure they don't burn. You might have to rotate the custards to evenly caramelize.
- Other, Desserts
- Serves 6