When it comes to weeknight cooking, nothing beats pork tenderloin. The affordable cut usually comes two to a pack meaning it easily feeds a crowd. It also cooks incredibly quickly, faster than a whole chicken, in about 20 minutes. The best thing about pork tenderloin, however, is its versatile adaptability. It can be seasoned with everything from fresh herbs to spicy pastes. This recipe looks to Cuba for inspiration and marinates the pork in a generous mixture of fresh citrus, fragrant cumin and oregano, and lots of minced garlic. Thick slashes are made on the meat before it's dunked in the marinade; the result is juicy, tender pork packed with flavor. If you've got time, marinate overnight, but otherwise, give it a flash marinade for at least 30 minutes. For the uncomplicated recipe, read on.
- 2/3 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
1/3 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
8 cloves of garlic, minced
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 lb pork tenderloin
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Use a long, thin knife to create deep gashes all over the flesh of the pork.
- Place the marinated pork in a deep bowl or container. Generously season the outside of the pork with salt and pepper and pour the marinade all over the pork. Cover well with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- Before heating the grill, remove the pork from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature. This could take 15 to 30 minutes. Heat the grill to high (550°F) and close the lid. Wait at least 15 minutes before lowering the heat to medium high (450°F). Oil the grates with a vegetable oil-soaked paper towel held with a long pair of tongs.
- Grill the meat for 16 to 20 minutes total, turning the meat over every 4 minutes. The pork is ready when it reaches an internal temperature of 150°F on the grill. It will continue to cook when it's off the heat, raising the internal temperature to the desired 160°F. Slice into pieces and enjoy.
- Main Dishes, Pork
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.