I was looking for delicious side dishes that would help us celebrate chocolate month when I came across this recipe for chocolate gravy. It sounds a bit crazy, but the concept of biscuits and chocolate gravy looks really delicious. It is actually more of a dessert, or breakfast pudding, than a side, but how thrilled will your guests be when you slather their biscuits in creamy chocolate? To get the recipe,
Hands on: 12 minutes
Total time: 12 minutes
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups whole milk
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and cocoa with a whisk until no clumps of flour or cocoa remain.
- Whisk in the milk until well-combined.
- Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture begins to boil and then thickens like gravy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the butter until it melts.
- Serve this "gravy" — basically a thin chocolate pudding — over buttermilk biscuits that have been split and buttered.
- Garnish the plate with raspberries or strawberries, if you like.