Do you know the secret to perfectly fried and seasoned french fries? Islands Restaurant does! The famous beachy burger joint first shared its Hawaiian burger with us, but the restaurant made sure we knew how to prep those side of fries too! Check out the method.
- Kennebec potatoes, 1 per person
High-heat oil, canola oil
Garlic salt and pepper, to taste
- Prep: Wash potatoes thoroughly under cold running water. Cut into 3/8-inch strips. Thoroughly rinse cut potatoes to remove excess starch until water is clear. Pat with paper towels until potatoes are dry.
- Blanch: In a large stock pot, fill it halfway full with a high-heat oil, like canola. Heat it over medium high until it reaches 325ºF. Blanch or precook the potatoes in the oil for about 3-4 minutes. Allow to drain on a flat sheet pan and cool completely under in the fridge or freezer.
- Double fry: When ready to serve, turn up the heat until oil reaches 350ºF. Drop cold, blanched potatoes into the hot oil and cook for 6-6 1/2 minutes.
- Season: Drain fries and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Season with garlic salt and pepper, and dig in to your crispy fries!
- Side Dishes, Potato
- North American