- 1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
3 large eggs at room temperature 30 minutes
2/3 cup whole milk at room temperature
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces
Lemon wedges for serving (optional)
- Put skillet on middle rack of oven and preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Stir together sugar and zest in a small bowl.
- Beat eggs with an electric mixer at high speed until pale and frothy, then beat in milk, flour, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and continue to beat until smooth, about 1 minute more (batter will be thin).
- Add butter to hot skillet and melt, swirling to coat. Add batter and immediately return skillet to oven. Bake until puffed and golden-brown, 18 to 25 minutes.
- Serve immediately, topped with lemon sugar.
Serves 4 to 6 for breakfast or dessert.
- Breakfast/Brunch, Pancakes/Waffles
- North American