- 3/4 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the butter and 1 cup of sugar until they are just combined. Add the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt, then add them to the butter-and-sugar mixture.
- Mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together.
- Dump onto a surface dusted with flour and shape into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes. Roll the dough 1/2-inch thick and cut with a 3 by 1-inch finger-shaped cutter. Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar. Alternately, roll the dough into a long, 2-inch cylinder before refrigerating. Once chilled, slice the cylinder into 1/4-inch circles. Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Allow to cool to room temperature.
Makes 20-30 cookies.
- Desserts, Cookies
- North American