- 1 poblano chile
4 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 large white onion, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 1/4 pounds ground chicken breast
4 slices sharp yellow cheddar
2 teaspoons butter, room temperature
4 whole-wheat burger buns, split
- Over a low gas flame or under the broiler, roast chile until charred, about 6 minutes, turning frequently. Place in a bowl and cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let chile steam 20 minutes, then rub with a paper towel to remove skin. Remove stem and seeds. Slice chile into 2-inch strips and return to bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high. Add onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook until onion is soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add onion to bowl with chile and stir to combine.
- Form ground chicken into four 4-inch-wide patties and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add 2 teaspoons oil and swirl to coat. Working in batches, cook burgers 2 minutes. Flip, top each with cheese, and cook until cooked through, about 4 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, heat broiler. Butter inside of buns and place on a baking sheet, buttered side up. Toast under broiler. Place burgers on buns and top with onion-and-chile mixture.
- Poultry, Main Dishes
- North American