This Friday, after you've opened presents with the family, why not sit down to a leisurely and luxurious brunch? It's a great way to start the day and enjoy each other's company. Serve an easy menu of dishes that can be prepared the night before and baked first thing in the morning. A sausage, fontina, and bell pepper strata is colorful and hearty. It contains chunks of bread, so you don't have to worry about making toast.
Offer crispy oven-roasted home fries with onions on the side. Brew a pot of coffee and give the kids mugs of hot chocolate. For these simple but scrumptious breakfast recipes,
- 6 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup finely grated Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound hot Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1 large red bell pepper, halved, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch wide-strips
- 1 1-pound loaf rustic French bread, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 cups (loosely packed) coarsely grated Fontina cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 13x9x2-inch ceramic or glass baking dish.
- Whisk first 7 ingredients in large bowl; sprinkle generously with pepper. Set aside.
- Place sausage in large nonstick skillet; push to 1 side. Add bell pepper to other side of skillet. Saute; over high heat, breaking up sausage with fork, until sausage is cooked through and bell peppers are brown in spots, about 7 minutes.
- Arrange half of bread slices in prepared dish. Pour half of egg mixture over. Sprinkle with half of cheese, then half of sausage pepper mixture. Repeat layering.
- Let stand 20 minutes, occasionally pressing on bread to submerge. Bake strata until puffed and brown, about 1 hour. Cool slightly.
- Breakfast/Brunch, Casseroles
- 2 1/2 pounds red skinned potatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning (recommended: McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning)
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Coarsely chop potatoes and transfer to a nonstick cookie sheet. Toss with oil, peppers, onions and seasonings and place in the oven 25 minutes, turning twice with spatula. Serve hot.
- Potatoes, Breakfast/Brunch