With a little help from the grocery store, you can have a piping hot bowl of healthy and delicious soup on your table in under a half an hour.
This recipe combines potatoes with carrots and white kidney beans. Although it calls for milk, it doesn't require full-fat milk, fat-free is fine.
It's hearty and vegetarian, plus any leftovers will make an excellent lunch tomorrow. To learn how to make it,
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh herb (such as oregano, basil, and/or parsley) or 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 of a 15-ounce can (3/4 cup) white kidney (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained
- Ground nutmeg
- Coat an unheated nonstick medium saucepan with cooking spray. Preheat over medium heat.
- Add green onions, dried Italian seasoning (if using), and garlic to hot saucepan. Cook until green onions are tender.
- Add the water, potato, carrot, salt, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 12 minutes or until potato and carrot are tender. Do not drain. Slightly mash potato and carrot with a fork or potato masher.
- In a screw-top jar combine milk and flour; cover and shake well. Stir milk mixture into potato mixture.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in fresh herb (if using) and beans. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Sprinkle individual servings with nutmeg.
- Main Dishes, Soup