I'm a major supporter of soup, and believe in eating it year-round, regardless of the weather. Yet I know how some of you can't bear to steam up sun shades with bowls of hot liquid in the Summer. If you fall into the latter category, chilled zucchini soup, with its creamy body and subtle flavor, is just the thing to talk you off the ledge. Add a quick course to the dinner menu when you blend together zucchini, broth, dill, and shredded cheese — or transform it into more of a substantial meal by topping off bowls with cumin-spiced shrimp and tangy cilantro cream. Decide between the two when you read more.
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini (about 3 medium), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon or dill or 1 teaspoon dried
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place broth, zucchini and tarragon (or dill) in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the zucchini is tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Puree carefully in a blender, removing the center piece of the blender lid and loosely covering the hole with a folded kitchen towel, in batches if necessary, until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pan and heat over medium-high, slowly stirring in cheese until it is incorporated. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Serve chilled.
Makes 4 servings, 1-1/4 cups each.
Nutritional information per serving: 115 calories; 5 g fat; 19 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrate; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 448 mg sodium; 452 mg potassium.
- North American
- Cilantro Cream:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small garlic clove, pressed
- 1 pound peeled, cooked medium shrimp
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 medium zucchini (about 1 3/4 pounds), cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 4 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus sprigs for garnish
- Make cilantro cream: Whisk sour cream, cilantro, and garlic in small bowl to blend. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill. (Can be made 1 day ahead.)
- Prepare shrimp: Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Cover and chill at least 4 hours or overnight. (Can be made 1 day ahead.)
- Make soup: Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion; sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Add garlic; stir 1 minute. Add zucchini; stir to coat. Stir in broth; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes. Cool to lukewarm. Add chopped cilantro. Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth.
- Transfer soup to large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and chill until cold, about 4 hours. (Can be made and chilled up to 1 day ahead.)
- Divide soup among bowls. Top each with shrimp, dividing equally. Spoon dollop of cilantro cream over each, garnish with cilantro sprigs, and serve.
Makes 6 first-course or 4 mail-course servings.
- North American