July 4 officially celebrates our country's independence, but this year, make your fiesta as much about food as it is about the fireworks. Regardless of whether you serve hamburgers or hot dogs, coleslaw or creamy potato salad, don't forget to leave some serious room for a red, white, and blue parfait, which is both gratifying on a balmy night and visually stunning.
Impress guests by paying a literal homage to the stars and stripes with a dessert composed of berry gelatin and creamy panna cotta. Or, take a far simpler approach to the parfait by serving layer upon layer of whipped yogurt, strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries. Decide which one works best for you this holiday and read more.
- 1 8-ounce carton vanilla lowfat yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 of an 8-ounce container frozen light whipped dessert topping, thawed
- 3 cups fresh raspberries and/or cut-up fresh strawberries
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- In a large bowl, stir together yogurt and almond extract or vanilla. Fold in whipped topping.
- To serve, in six 12-ounce glasses or dessert dishes, alternate layers of the berries with layers of the yogurt mixture.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 129, Total fat 3g, Fiber 8g, Protein 3g, Carbohydrate 21g
- Fruit, Desserts
- North American